Saturday, April 5, 2008

Oprah's puppymill show - In memory of Zoe

It was all over the "dog" world that Oprah was doing a show in puppymills. All of us who are active in rescue were overjoyed and anxiously awaited the show which aired on April 4th. I was so moved, that I had to watch it twice and each time I shed a new bunch of tears. All of the video footage shown is exactly what we in rescue deal with on a daily basis, especially my friends who live in southern/central Ohio and actually visit the auctions on Amish farms in central/northern Ohio. I have been invited on several occasions to journey to "Amish country" to go to the auctions in hopes of purchasing dogs. I have always declined because I am not sure I could handle it. In all, we have been loved by three puppymill girls. Our first, Zoe, ventured to the Rainbow Bridge in August of 2007. What was seen on Oprah is exactly what we saw and dealt with in Zoe. She had the collar embedded in her neck. the swollen breasts with tumors along with a huge scar from being burned from a heat lamp. things that were not seen on Oprah was how some dogs come to you with bones that have been broken and never healed properly such as our Sweet Zoe.

We had Zoe for almost 7 years and she died a the age of 14.5. No one believed she would have survived as long with all of her medical problems, but she showed us what a survivor puppy mill girls can be.

RIP Zoe and I'll meet you at the Bridge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen.
Zoe was a complete sweetie.